(urth) Dionysus

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Tue Nov 30 22:43:10 PST 2010

James Wynn wrote:
[snip]
> still think, based the meeting and other things --including the
> understanding the Horn is, thematically associated with Aristeaus' son,
> Actaeon--that Horn broke his neck in that pit and died. Then the
> greenbuck, a young Neighbor, feeling guilt over his death reanimated him
> (along with all his memories) and devoted himself to completing Horn's
> mission.

How curious. A Neighbor lured Horn to his death, then took pity on him,
mended his broken neck and brought his body back to life. Yet when wounded
Horn was in fact dying in that lander on Green, and very much did not want
to die, he called upon the Neighbors to help him in his agony and a Neighbor
came to him and said: "I cannot make you well again [. . .]" (IGJ, p-127)
But the Neighbor could and did send Horn's spirit into Silk's body. I
suppose the Neighbor could have lied about not being able to mend Horn's
body, but I very much doubt it.

Not even mighty Tzadkiel, the Hierogrammate with dominion over the whole
damn galaxy, could bring a human body back to life. Of course, I suppose
Barbatus could have been lying about that, too. (URTH, 359-60)

-Roy