(urth) Padding?

Craig Brewer cnbrewer at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 30 10:02:30 PST 2010

It seems like there are different ways to take it.

When I first read it, I thought, "And here's Wolfe deciding to be 'literary.'
Let's stop the 'quest-adventure' and do some thematic ruminating!"

After I got more interested in the world of Urth, it seemed like perfectly
appropriate "world building" stuff. It was almost generically appropriate.

Then, even later, when I was interested in the cultural/religious aspects of
Urth, it seemed like a series of interesting philosophical digressions.

Looking back now, it was probably Wolfe doing some of all of that. It seems
perfectly appropriate that the original STORY could have done without it. And my
bet is that when Wolfe was originally writing the thing, he was thinking
primarily as a professional genre writer would: I have my story, and now I have
to add to it because my editor/publisher wants more. I don't want to screw up
the plot I've laid out, so how can I add to this appropriately in a way that
won't require all kinds of plot-level restructuring?

So it probably was padding, in terms of word count. But a good writer will still
make padding add to the overall work, which I think this does. It certainly
interrupts the "forward movement" of the story (and maybe we can fault it for
that...Wolfe even seems to, and I can understand how the "storyteller" in him
might be a bit irritated with those passages), but it still contributes to Urth.
I wouldn't want to do without it, myself, just as I wouldn't want to do without
any of the other Brown Book stories (and still want more!).