(urth) god(s) and gods

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 11:46:03 PST 2010

On 11/28/2010 9:36 PM,  wrote:
> Lee Berman-
> The origin of the name Pas is certainly a thorn in my side. The text hints that it is related
> to the god Pan, though I suspect Wolfe knows Pan's name has more of a connection to the word
> "panic" than the prefix for "all". Pan's name may have a connection to "pastoral" and that is
> the source of the name of Pas. But I also note the connection between Typhon and his Persian
> cognate Pazuzu. "Pas" could be short for that nasty wind god/demon. But I think I'm alone in
> that guess.  Even James Wynn and his attraction to the wind aspect of Typhon doesn't share my
> interest in Pazuzu here.

I _do_ like the connection between Pas and Pazuzu. I mean, it works so
sweetly as a connection between Pas and Typhon.
BUT I find the connection between Pas and Pan so compelling that I find
it hard to believe he would not have settled on that name even if the
name were not at hand. The association with "pas" and "dog" seems likely
to be compelling to Wolfe on many levels and adds depth to an analogy
that --to my mind-- needed it.

ON THE OTHER HAND, while Pazuzu nice, it's not as solid as I have come
to expect Wolfe's puns. It's like associating "inhuma" with "inhuman".
It's is there, and it is convenient association. But it's not the
primary way Wolfe plays with words. So I don't think it could have been
more than an afterthought. It would not surprise me if Wolfe noted the
association, though.

u+16b9