(urth) academic commentary

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Mon Nov 29 08:13:49 PST 2010

Well argued, Craig.

Yes, I think Wolfe is deep enough as a Catholic and an author to be able
to weave into his narratives all sorts of apparently contradictory
principles. I could begin with the reader's---at least the naive
reader's---necessary movement from "Narration is truth" to "Narration is
lies" and ultimately to "Narration that is lies is also truth, maybe
even a better truth."

Replace "narration" with "belief," and consider that Wolfe had a long
path of conversion to Catholicism, and you have your 3 texts as well as
a motivation for Wolfe to "create" such a long and complicated tale.

Thanks for the Wright summary. It does seem odd that he did all this
work but could not make the final leap.