(urth) god(s) and gods

Andrew Mason andrew.mason53 at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 28 10:04:49 PST 2010

Jack Smith wrote:

> I think "Pas" is a corruption of "Pan", the Greek god of rustic places.
> "Pan" means everything, as in "pandemic" or "pandemonium".  Scylla,
> possessing Chenille, explains about the gods being members of Pas' family on
> Urth and says "with Daddy to be the god of everything--that's what his name
> meant--and boss over everybody."   (LotLS, ch. 11)

'Pas' is the masculine form of 'all'; 'pan' is the neuter form. I
believe the name of Pan, the god, has a different origin (it certainly
declines differently), but the interpretation of it as meaning 'all'
goes back a long way.

I'm sure this is the central meaning of the name of Pas, but this does
not rule out its having other meanings as well.