(urth) Antipolaric brothers

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Fri Nov 26 14:38:33 PST 2010

On 11/26/2010 1:15 PM, Lee Berman wrote:

> In Jeff Wilson's response I get a sense of a worldview of someone with a lifetime of
> immersion in Judeo-Christian religion/philosophy/culture. Almost all of us here share in
> that culture.  All our lives we have been consciously and unconsciously conditioned to think
> of light and creation as inherently Good and dark and destruction as inherently Bad. The God
> of the Old Testament is a bringer of light and the Creator of everything and thus He is the
> ultimate in goodness.

I'm not subscribed to such a one-sided view as that; He is equally the
ultimate in evil and misfortune, since His sovereignty encompasses the
universe and everything in it, but the lesser creatures within insist on
projecting their subjective values onto His works and misattributing
them to one another. Severian's destructive sure, but so is the eraser
destructive of writing, and the tide a destroyer of sand castles;
Severian's destructive mission is not  a harbinger of chaos (usually)
but more like a broom that sweeps decrepit cobwebs away to leave the
stage clean for the next act.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >