(urth) Antipolaric brothers

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Fri Nov 26 08:39:26 PST 2010

On 11/26/2010 9:32 AM, Lee Berman wrote:
> I think this dream scene was the germ of a continuing gnostic theme in Wolfe's work. In BotNS
> Typhon takes the role of light, over-controlling Creator while Severian is his antipolaric
> brother, the dark, chaos-bringing Destroyer.

I'm pretty sure that Severian's destruction of Typhon shuld be seen to
prevent an enormous amount of chaos; at the very least Typhon's return
to the Commonwealth would mean a civil war, and if he won, a tyranny of
his whim would descend where no one could be secure in anything. T's
mind-control power eliminates the need for him to treat even his most
powerful allies well, leaving not even a show of mutuality to leaven his
dominion once the oath has been sworn.

In this, Severian is the rightful executioner of the man who sought to
usurp all authority, even the Increate's, and allows what pitiful
remnant of law and order the Urthlings have managed to keep together to
endure a little longer.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >