(urth) Antipolaric brothers

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 08:59:58 PST 2010

On 11/21/2010 2:28 PM, Andrew Mason wrote:
> I've just finished reading BOTLS, which has given me a lot to think
> about; I'll shortly  be re-reading it, and will no doubt be bringing
> up various questions and thoughts that strike me. But while I was
> reading it I had general thought about the series.
>
> In SOTT chapter 21, 'The Hut in the Jungle', Severian writes 'If it is
> true that each of us has an antipolaric brother somewhere, a bright
> twin if we are dark, a dark twin if we are bright...' The immediate
> application of this is rather odd - 'that hut was surely such a
> changeling to one of our cells'. But I'm wondering if it might in some
> way illuminate a series about someone who has a mysterious origin, is
> chosen by [a] superhuman being[s] for a significant task, has a
> death/resurrection experience, becomes lame, becomes a ruler, etc. -
> but is blond, and impossibly high-minded.

There's something twinny about Silk and Auk that I've never quite been
able to put my finger on. Thematically, they divide the deeds of
Hephaestus between them. Narratively, Silk shrives Auk before the
"solving" of Blood's House. Auk shrives Silk afterward. The very term
"solving" as an activity is a parallel between them as Silk plays
detective and Auk is a thief.
I don't know. But I _do_ think there is a meta-connection between Silk
and Sev as well. I think the fact that Wolfe had the Rajan meet Severian
and justifies it as necessary in the telling of the story implies that
this is so.

u+16b9