(urth) Antipolaric brothers

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 22 04:50:19 PST 2010

>Andrew Mason: But I'm wondering if it might in some
>way illuminate a series about someone who has a mysterious origin, is
>chosen by [a] superhuman being[s] for a significant task, has a
>death/resurrection experience, becomes lame, becomes a ruler, etc. -
>but is blond, and impossibly high-minded.

Interesting you should bring this up now. I am finishing up RttW and at the
end there is a mysterious character on Urth who is tall and blonde with icy eyes
and a hawk-like nose. Plus there is a persistent character in the Sun series who
may be deduced as having blonde hair. (Typhon)

Still trying to sort my thoughts out but I think perhaps Wolfe is addressing what
I will call a "gnostic" concept which may have reached its culmination in Nietzche
who divided aspects of human experience into an Apollonian and Dionysian dichotomy.
There is a long and diverse preceding history of juxtaposing a rational, detached,
orderly sun god with a dark, intoxicating god who emphasizes chaotic personal
experience. More later.