(urth) Typee, incidentally

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Sat Nov 13 19:52:25 PST 2010

Gerry

I don't entirely follow, perhaps because I abandoned the
Hierodules-as-actual-angels idea long ago.

Urth is obviously far from innocent (and so were the Marquesans and
Hawaiians), but your distinction between Hierodules and those undersea
powers isn't critical to my point, which was to suggest a resemblance to
(and potential literary precedent for) Wolfe's moral problem in
Melville's in Typee. I don't propose a one-to-one correspondence. It's
more complex than that.

To clarify: if the actions of evil powers do the work of the Increate
(and this principle is stated everywhere in TBotNS), then the
enslavement of Ascians does the work of the Increate even though the
Hierodules, who believe they are doing the work of the Increate, do not
themselves enslave. Maybe this principle needs a name so it doesn't
require constant restating!

This is not to suggest a moral equivalence between Hierodules and Abaia,
of course. But I do agree that the colonial relationship is almost
entirely "missionary" in nature, not imperial. On the Hierodules' side
at least, not necessarily Abaia's---but perhaps for Abaia as well.

(Who knows? How can you tell when aliens are truly evil? Obviously
killing and enslaving humans is not really enough evidence, because we
humans do that all the time.)