(urth) Typee, incidentally

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 12 10:38:12 PST 2010

>David Stockhoff: This solution, that missionary work is "just and holy" but missionaries
>are "earthly" and "productive of evil," is so reminiscent of one "solution" to the puzzle
>presented by the Hierodules, Vodalus, and the actions of the undines toward Severian---that
>even evil forces do the work of the Increate---that I think they must be related. In fact, the
>Heirodules on Urth from the perspective of a citizen of the Commonwealth must resemble an
>islander's view of missionaries, given the same level of knowledge and grasp of history.

At the end of CotA there is an elaborate blacksmith analogy made to describe the Hierogrammates'
shaping of humanity (below). I think it may be apt in describing how Wolfe's view of good and
evil doesn't follow the traditional Christian definitions. Humanity, as the hot piece of metal
being pounded, might define the solid, cool foundation of the anvil as being "good" and the
crushing, painful blows of the hammer to be "evil". But the blacksmith would not and could not
view the process this way. How could He accomplish His shaping by seeking always to elevate the
anvil and eliminate the hammer?

Brings to mind the questions of why God created Lucifer et al. to fall and created Adam and Eve
to fail. Also that recently found Lost Gospel of Judas, which suggests Jesus and Judas secretly
planned the Judas betrayal all along to accomplish their spiritual goals.