(urth) The Cistern under the bell keep

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Thu Nov 11 23:49:01 PST 2010

On 11/10/2010 4:19 PM, Son of Witz wrote:
> Severian mentions the cistern under the Bell Keep at least 8 times in his five volumes.
> Does anyone find a particular significance to it? I haven't.  He seems to use it for comparison only, but it keeps coming up throughout the books.

Well it provides foreshadowing of the flushing of the vinculum. It also
gives a plausible reason for a lifelong dweller in urban medieval
squalor to be familiar with the appearance and other properties of a
large volume of clear, fresh water, the better to analogize and
metaphorize for the first world reader.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >