(urth) Jahlee and Merryn

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 8 09:23:25 PST 2010

>Jeff Wilson: Are we sure Jahi is a demon in the play rather than a Lilith figure? Cos
>Jolenta and Dorcas play two other characters who are overtly identified as the two demons
>in the play.

In Persian/Zoroastrian religion, Jahi is a cognate figure to Lilith, just as Meschia and
Meschianne are cognates to Adam and Eve. So I think the real question is whether Lilith/Jahi
should be considered a demoness or not. Interesting that feminists have co-opted Lilith as a
symbol of femininity falsely demonized by the male-dominated Judeo-Christian culture and
society.

In reading Wolfe, I often think he is personally conflicted on this issue. Is it possible for
a even an converted Catholic to have Madonna/Whore complex with regard to women? ;- )

In seriousness, I do think we see some of this dual nature reflected in many Sun series women.
Angelic Dorcas, Pia, Apheta, Seawrack etc. have their dark, sexual manipulative sides. Demonic
Agia, Hyacinth?, Fava, Jahlee etc. have their soft, caring, feminine sides. Thecla seems pretty
50/50.

Anyway, the Zoroastrian connection is important to the RttW-inspired expansion of my GUT I'm
working on. But, perhaps because I am not religious, I find some of this mystic mythology, esp.
gnosticism, difficult to grasp. But working on it.

(I think I need to find a new term. GUT may be losing its sense of self-mockery with repetition,
not really being a theory and certainly not being grand. I still have some hopes for a unifying
aspect. Maybe I should switch to Personal Onotological Opus?)