(urth) Wind god

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 13:43:28 PDT 2010

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 1:37 PM, Lee Berman <severiansola at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Andrew mentions disappearing *and* reappearing. It would be the reappearances that support the idea
> of out-of-text re-emergings of doppelganger Conciliators. Mustn't read one word and skip the other.

I've always taken it to imply that Severian made other trips to Typhon's era.

Of course, it could also be just a case of the tale growing in the
telling, that there was just the one disappearance but a thousand
years have embellished the matter somewhat.

> The SWORD encounter itself does not provide enough information to make this conclusion. The scene implies
> that Typhon connects Severian to the Conciliator because of the pouch around his neck, containing the Claw
> of the Conciliator.  Only later do we learn Severian is the Conciliator,  which might allow us to infer
> that Typhon recognizes Severian personally. Still, we might wonder why Typhon treats Severian as a complete
> stranger when they first meet.

Perhaps because he does not yet have the scar and limp that mark him later?

--
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes