(urth) Wind god

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Fri Nov 5 10:32:55 PDT 2010

>>Jeff Wilson- Lee, this an example of the kind of selective reading that
>> pisses off
>>people. In the second sentence following Typhon calling the Conciliator a
>> wonder-worker,
>>he gives a perfectly straightforward reason for calling him that:
>> "[...]and since diseases
>>and deformities seemed to flee from him, I ordered him brought to me."
>> The disappearances
>>mentioned my Dorcas would seem to indicate that his departure into the
>> Corridors was further
>>attested by the soldiers who witnessed it after he left Typhon's
>> presence.
>
> I don't know if you can speak for "people" but if I've pissed you off, I
> apologize, though I'm
> not sure why what I wrote upsets you. Or did you mean you were pissed off
> at Andrew, whose idea
> I was going along with?

I won't unilaterally re-involve people by naming names, but if you truly
don't recall the considerable irritation other listpeople have displayed
at your methods of justifying previous "GUT" notions of yours, that would
explain a great deal. Unfortunately, it would also be a pathological
symptom, like the hypoxia from my sleep apnea that makes me just dumber
than dirt on some days, and never as sharp as I could be or even was 2-3
years ago.

> Anyway, as I read the passage, Typhon was facing a major medical problem
> at the time. He called
> for the alleged wonderworker to be brought before him in hopes he could
> fix what his own doctors
> could not fix (Piaton's stubbornness in reliquishing full control of his
> body). Instead of helping,
> Severian presented a far more immediate threat to Typhon's life and a
> massive security breach which
> had to be dealt with immediately. Typhon's orders would have been
> something like "get this crazy
> quack out of here now and hang the person responsible from a pole!".
>
> So for me I could see the need for further convincing, as Andrew suggests,
> via multiple Concilliators
> appearing and disappearing through the rest of Typhon's reign. Or maybe
> Typhon died thinking the
> Concilliator was a quack. Dunno.

But Typhon is making the "wonder-worker" speech in SWORD, when he knows
there's something special about the Conciliator because he senses that the
older fellow he met before his "drying" is connected to the younger but
otherwise identical-looking fellow he meets after, both from common sense
and from his psychic gifts.