(urth) Wind god

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 10:22:05 PDT 2010

>> Lee Berman-
>> Still pecking through RttW and finding interesting revelations.
>> One thing I find striking are the numerous mentions of Typhon/Pas as
>> a god of winds. Why are we hit over the head so hard with this when the
>> connection wasn't addressed at all in the previous five books of the
>> Long/Short
>> Sun series? (unless we count the hot, drought winds plaguing the
>> Whorl during
>> Silk's ascendence).
>
> Gerry Quinn -
> I read the Short Sun trilogy recently.  I noticed Pas was associated
> with a whirlwind once or twice, but that's all I remember - certainly
> not being hit hard with it.  And a whirlwind is different from a
> typhoon or sirocca. I don't really see why the association would be
> important anyway, though. What, if anything,does it tell us about
> him?  I can see how a whirlwind or windstorm might reflect his rapid
> conquest of Urth - but we already know about that!

It TELLS us nothing in itself.  The _why_ questions are the point. If
Typhon is Spring Wind and/or the Student, what is the significance of
his sons? I suspect that an epiphany in a Wolfe story always starts with
someone saying "Yes, it is clear that such-and-such happened, buy WHY
did it happen?" "Why did he do it?" "Why did Wolfe have the character
mention this here?"***  For me, wondering why is always the start.
Sometimes you come up with answer.

*** Such as, "Why does Silk spend two full and separate paragraphs
pondering why he called Blood "son"? Or "Why does Silk ponder that he
and Sand must be brothers in some meta-universal sense because of the
tenuous similarities in their names?"

+u16b9