(urth) Dionysus

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 09:52:52 PST 2010

> Lee Berman-
> I am thinking of when Horn first meets the Neighbors and is struck by the short, stiff hairs on the arm of their leader. He is never quite able to count their heads or see their eyes.

Unfortunately, I am the source for this, but it turned out that the
reading was based on a printing defect in my copy of On Blue's Waters. I
still think, based the meeting and other things --including the
understanding the Horn is, thematically associated with Aristeaus' son,
Actaeon--that Horn broke his neck in that pit and died. Then the
greenbuck, a young Neighbor, feeling guilt over his death reanimated him
(along with all his memories) and devoted himself to completing Horn's
mission.

And of course Aristaeus has a lot of overlaps with Dionysus--not limited
to the facts that he was a disciple of the D mysteries AND A's daughter,
Macris, nursed D on honey.

Incidentally, the connection between Aristaeus and the Long/Short Sun
cycle becomes more compelling the more one investigates it.  For
example, I wrote the Aristaeus article
http://urth.org/whorlmap/aristaeus and the Midas article (in which the
Hyperboreans play a major role) http://urth.org/whorlmap/midas
separately. It was only long afterward that I discovered that supposedly
Aristaeus is the original source of the story of the Hyperboreans
--which is a pretty amazing coincidence if that's all it is.
Additionally, it is significant that I only discovered Aristaeus'
connection to Pindar (a major character in Soldier of the Mist) after I
was halfway through my simultaneous reading of the "Long Sun" and R.
Graves' Aristaeus chapter.