(urth) Padding?

Mo Holkar lists at ukg.co.uk
Tue Nov 30 03:16:20 PST 2010

Hi all,

One of Wolfe's comments in the Cooney interview,
linked here recently, caught my eye. Re BotNS:

"If you look in the third book, you will find a
storytelling contest that’s strictly padding.
That contest got me a really good review in
Playboy Magazine – and I’ve always been grateful to it for that reason."

I have always seen the storytelling contest as
narratively and thematically important. We step
back from the main action, and get a succession
of insights into the metaphysics of the
characters' world. We then read on with somewhat renewed eyes.

I guess we can continue to believe that Wolfe is
being a little disingenuous when he says it's
"strictly" padding. But it is slightly sobering
to reflect that if BotNS had remained a trilogy,
it wouldn't have been included.

Although perhaps you may feel that this is post
hoc reasoning, and really it is indeed padding
that we could have done happily without?

best wishes,

Mo

# ~ # ~ #

WolfeWiki -- a wiki about Gene Wolfe