(urth) Dionysus

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 21:47:01 PST 2010

> Jane Delawney-
> However, there is a curious suggestion that the wine-god may not after
> all be a bastard son of Typhon but in some sense the son of the
> Outsider. Which would probably make this a Christian reference -
> Christ as wine-god - not as in god of drunken orgies of course, but
> God manifest in the wine of the Eucharist. Very allusive indeed, but
> interesting IMO

C.S. Lewis, whose books Wolfe claims to have read in their entirety,
made a very impassioned argument in one of his books that D. was a being
that pointed to Christ.

>>> Lee Berman-
>>> My guess is that this is an allusion to a couple satyrs/fauns
>>> who are associated with the Dionysus cult, Silvanus and Silenus.
>>
>> James Wynn-
>> I think this is an excellent and significant guess.
>
> Gerry Quinn-
> Silk is hardly the most Dionysian of characters though, is he?

It depends on what you mean by being a Dionysian. For C.S. Lewis, it was
a pre-Christian Christian. And, remember, I'm not saying Silk _is_ D.,
even thematically. He's a _follower_ of D. I've argued that the Book of
the Long Sun is mapped over Robert Graves' telling of the life of
Aristeaus. Aristeaus was inducted into the D. mysteries. In the Book of
the Long Sun, the role of D. is played by Quetzal.

The inhumi are like D. in that he is known as the Twice Born god. But
there is someone else who died and was reborn...Pas. As the Rajan put
it, Pas was regrown from a seed.

u+16b9