(urth) academic commentary

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 15:31:21 PST 2010

David Stockhoff wrote:
> I'm confused. Whose argument?
>
> I don't think Antonio meant to say anything negative about Wright as a
> person, if in fact he meant Wright's atheism blinded him to certain
> interpretations. It's certainly possible---happens all the time, I'm sure.

Just to clarify things a bit, I only said it would be an uncomfortable or
inconvenient leap. I can't understand how that got construed as an attack,
personal or not.

I don't think the evidence points to Wright being *intellectually unable* to
make such a leap, so the guess (yeah) is that he did shy from it, either
conscious or unconsciously. I also don't think atheism itself is the issue,
unless he were bent on seeing Wolfe as an atheist, which again I don't see
that he does. So I guess (squared) that said 'third' reading is either
something Wright doesn't find interesting or that he fears may open a few
cans of interpretative worms somewhere if given enough importance.

(I think at this time and place everyone can read Wolfe both with and
without Wolfe and/or Wolfe's motivations.)