(urth) academic commentary

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Mon Nov 29 11:26:02 PST 2010

Or, maybe Wright does not fully understand fantasy as a form of
literature and believes it amounts to escapism. It's a common error.

For Wolfe, fantasy is plainly the opposite of escapism, except that he
enjoys his material and probably gets to escape into it while he writes.

On 11/29/2010 2:01 PM, David Stockhoff wrote:
> I suppose that's as good a guess as any, but I'm guessing that you are
> guessing, Antonio. Perhaps you think his atheism got in the way? I
> don't see why---my atheism doesn't get in my way. But that's still a
> valid guess.
>
> I'll rephrase my remark: It seems odd that Wright would be a student
> of literature and a fan of Wolfe and not be able to see what Wolfe
> does with mythology/fantasy and what he does with narrative itself,
> and see where they lead. The patterns are clear: the trees form a
> forest whose shape can be seen.
>
> There are so many writers of classic science fiction who are Jewish,
> and their work could almost be called atheistic. Wolfe obviously is
> not one of them. Reading Wolfe as a whole leaves one little
> opportunity to miss the forest.
>
> Let me make my own guess: Wright is uncomfortable dealing with
> authorial intent---he was trained to avoid it, as so many grad
> students were in recent decades---and so he does. Here's another: for
> some reason, Wright is unfamiliar with Wolfe's work outside BOTNS/LS/SS.
>
> To those of you who have read Wright---any guesses? Are either of
> these possible?

---
Virus Database (VPS): 101129-1, 11/29/2010
Tested on: 11/29/2010 2:26:03 PM