(urth) Dionysus

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Mon Nov 29 08:03:07 PST 2010

Well, it all depends on what mythology arises from the four. The
Persians and Egyptians all faced this dilemma: that of many legendary
powers of whom only one is True. Which one? But even that One is not
True, in the case of Severian, because he was born a mortal. (Not a
problem for the Greeks or, apparently, the Ushans---just a problem for
those of us who imagine God as a platonic ideal who has never been to
Earth.)

Was Apollo at least a true facet of God? The same for Odin? I think
Wolfe thinks so, because he has said he believes they are real---but
that doesn't necessarily mean they are false gods, i.e., demons of some
kind. If they are facets or misperceptions of God, as even Abiaia may be
a reflection of the Increate, then it all works out.

Gnosticism is a logical result of the (Hindu) belief that the material
world hides the real world. It could be seen as deeply paranoid, or as
common sense.

OTOH, pagans believe that everything they see is a god. From a Christian
perspective, this is only half true: for at least some of them,
everything they see is God. (For others, everything they see is
wickedness and not-God, which is where gnosticism sneaks in.) It's a
matter of opinion, then, as to which half is the more important one.