(urth) Dionysus

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Mon Nov 29 05:38:43 PST 2010

All good points, and I have no doubt that either Severian's universe or
its mechanics or its "worship" of him, or all, are gnostic in pattern or
design. But I don't see how anyone could twist Islam into gnosticism.
That would conflate opposites: there is nothing at all gnostic about Islam.

However, I can see how gnosticism could be a type of paganism, in the
sense that it is misdirected worship of the Increate. Possibly Wolfe
considers Islam to be slightly off---perhaps unsurprisingly.

Following that logic, we could interpret the four gods primarily not as
gnostic pairs---though they are---but as gods. That is, as powers such
as Thor and Odin who are real but not God. Gnosticism would be a belief
that the true God lies behind the earthly powers.

As, perhaps, God could be generally described at all times and in all
universes.