(urth) academic commentary

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 29 04:16:44 PST 2010

>Jeff WIlson- He effectively says the "evil does the work of the Increate, too" meme
>was planted by the Yesodis?

Yeah, that's my gathering. I think Wright analyzes BotNS from an atheistic perspective.
So there is no truly higher spiritual power involved. Just some highly advanced aliens
who play Severian and humanity like a fiddle.

Jane I think I remember which short paragraph it was in which "the relationship & balance
of power between Tzadkiel and Severian are both subverted - turned upon their heads
indeed". Is it where Tzadkiel confesses to being an acolyte to Severian in a different
universe or something like that?

Sort of similar to the reversal we see where Barbatus and Famulimus, so tall and beautiful
and from a giant spaceship, take a knee and bow before scruffy Severian.

My impression is that Wright interprets BotNS from an atheist point of view because he is,
himself a devout atheist and perhaps unwilling to acknowledge spirituality in the work of
an author he so admires, despite awareness of Wolfe's religious leanings.