(urth) Antipolaric brothers

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 26 07:32:12 PST 2010

On further consideration I am now more firmly sold on the conclusion that the blonde,
hawk-nosed guy steering the ship at the end of RttW is meant to represent Typhon. It
just doesn't seem right that a revelation in the grand finale of a 12 book series would
be as anti-climactic as Dux Caesidius.

Still, I think Dux's resemblance to Severian, implying a shared aquiline nose
is important. It reinforces the idea of Typhon and Severian resemble each other, as
antipolaric brothers should. The Mandragora also reinforces this link.

My further consideration was inspired by reviewing a conversation Hoof and SilkHorn
are having about making these Red Sun Whorl trips. Hoof is wondering why Pas would allow
Scylla to make the journey with them to the Red Sun Whorl. SilkHorn says that he would not,
unless there was a way that Pas could also make the journey. The issue, like so many others
in this series, is left unresolved, unexplained: so where is Pas?

Making this dream-journey to the Red Sun Whorl seems to reveal the true essence of a person
or something like that. Scylla appears as a young woman (with snake-like arms). So, I think
Pas' true essence as a tall, hawk-nosed blonde guy is also revealed. I'm not sure if he is
there as the aspect of Pas found in Silkhorn or maybe he has possessed the inhumu who is
with them. But I think it is Typhon we are seeing.

The scene also invokes (for me) one of the most important scenes from 5HoC. It is a dream
sequence in which Number Five's father is steering a ship, refusing to untie it from the dock
until he can determine what is impeding the progress of the ship. It is meant to symbolize
the self-defeating nature of cloning and trying to micro-manage and overcontrol the world and
one's self/family.

I think this dream scene was the germ of a continuing gnostic theme in Wolfe's work. In BotNS
Typhon takes the role of light, over-controlling Creator while Severian is his antipolaric
brother, the dark, chaos-bringing Destroyer.