(urth) Mucor and the devils

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 26 06:48:36 PST 2010

>Andrew Mason: Next, what are devils? The 'devils' about which Pike warned Silk are
> clearly inhumi. But as I understand it, inhumi were not present on the
> Whorl from the start, so what are the devils mentioned in the Chrasmologic writings?

>Gerry Quinn: I interpret them as fallen spirits of some sort.  I don't think they
>necessarily refer to any specific kind of being.

I don't see the need for being parsimonious and embracing ambiguity here. I think the
clues are pointing to a specific answer- there were Inhumi on the Whorl from the
beginning, meaning there were Inhumi on Urth.

Such vampiric creatures are, of course, not on the forestage of the story in BotNS but
I think there are hints of them in some sections related to Dorcas and Jolenta. There is
a hint of mystery in the discussion of blood bats (including that we see their results but
we never quite see them). And there is the vampiric Jahi in Dr. Talos' play.

Moreover, the similarities between Inhumi and the Shadow Children from 5HoC suggest to
me that these sort of creatures were on Wolfe's mind before and after writing BotNS and
thus by inference, during.

I certainly agree with Gerry that they may be seen as "fallen spirits". Without this in
place I find no purpose for Severian and his flushing of Urth. The Bible implies that
the Flood here on Earth was necessary because fallen angels/demons had come down and mated
with human women, creating a giant race of Nephilim and all manner of wickedness among humans.
Dr. Talos' play contains allusions to all this.

I have found this view reinforced by some incidents in the Long Sun series. When inhumi are
brought to Urth and convert to true human form, they show some interest in finding out what
it is like to eat our sort of food. But mostly they have an intense desire to copulate with
people as much as possible. (to the point that a human-inhumi war is instigated when one is
denied the opportunity to copulate). The theme of extremely large size as a pre-requisite to
(false) godhood is found throughout the Sun series.