(urth) St Catherine's Day (was: Re: Mucor and devils) )

Jane Delawney jane_delawney at sky.com
Thu Nov 25 15:36:09 PST 2010

Monkeying with the message header for the customary gmail related
reason, sorry about that.

On 25/11/10 22:22, Gerry Quinn wrote:

> From: "Andrew Mason" <andrew.mason53 at googlemail.com>
>
>> First, a very happy feast of St Catherine to you all!
>
> And to you too!
And to all listers everywhere on the feast of our Patroness. :)

>> OK, here are the first of the puzzles I have come up with in my
>> reading of _Long Sun_. First, what exactly are Mucor's powers?
(snippage)

> Good question... her powers do not appear to be completely
> consistent.  At other times she definitely left her body behind when
> possessing people, e.g. getting information about the Fliers.  Her
> apparent invisibility in her room seems anomalous.  When she sends out
> her spirit, she seems to be either flying around freely, or possessing
> people or animals, or occasionally popping up inside a mirror - it is
> hard to see what she would do with a body on such occasions.
I note that on their first acquaintance Mucor convinces Pr. Silk that
*her window (ie. physical window to her room) has to be open* in order
for her to send forth her 'spirit'. Silk is convinced of this at the
time. The parallel between Mucor's physically open window and the 'gods'
' Sacred Windows only becomes apparent some time later.
>> Next, what are devils? The 'devils' about which Pike warned Silk are
>> clearly inhumi. But as I understand it, inhumi were not present on the
>> Whorl from the start
Not clear to me. We do not get any details about the exposure of Pr.
Quetzal as an inhumu until some time within BOTSS when Silk/Horn gets to
remember details of the combat under Viron. We learn relatively early in
BOTLS that there is definitely something ... odd shall we say ... about
Quetzal, but it's not spelled out for a good long while.

And I don't recall any specific information regarding when Quetzal (and
any others of his kind) may have infiltrated the Whorl. When BOTLS
begins, Quetzal has been the man in charge for quite a few years.