(urth) Wind god

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 06:34:28 PST 2010

>> James Wynn-
>> Given that Time collapses with each cycle it is entirely irrelevant
>> whether the cycles were "earlier" (in meta-Time) or not.
>
> entonio at gmail.com-
> It's not irrelevant, it's devoid of meaning. Either way, I meant
> 'future', not 'meta-future'.

How is there a "future" when Time collapses at the end of a cycle?

> entonio at gmail.com-
> No, you hinted it could follow 'There Are Doors'. That's far from an
> explanation and I don't see how that's easy here.

In TAD alternate universes that are near one another affect each other
just as if you tune the strings on a guitar to the same note and pluck
one string those next to it will vibrate. So, in TAD, even though it has
always been true that men in Laraworld die after having sex, the
languages, customs, and architecture is virtually the same as our world
(Green's world). The two universes are constantly affecting each
other--bringing them into accordance.  So grooms in Laraworld wear black
because men die after having sex. Grooms in Green's world wear black
because grooms in Laraworld do.

By the same token, it would not be necessary for there to have been a
Jesus of Nazareth in Severian's cycle for there to be a Catholic Church.
They would have a Catholic Church, with similar rituals, because there
was one in the cycle just following or just preceding Severian's--just
as grooms wear black in our world because men die after sex in
Laraworld. (Since Time is not an issue, the cycles exist simultaneously
in all practical senses.)  And there might have been a Catholic Church
in one of THOSE other cycles only because there was one in the cycle on
the other side. And, although, only the universe with a Christ has a
true rationale for having a Catholic Church, all of the Catholic
Churches are *actually* honoring the Christ in the original cycle
(because if A=B and B=C, then A=C).

Okay?

u+16b9