(urth) Urth Digest, Vol 75, Issue 7

Andrew Mason andrew.mason53 at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 7 09:59:10 PST 2010

Entonio wrote:

> I must be missing something. Isn't it generally accepted that Severian
> paid several visits to that time period alone? He at least says he
> likes to think some of the people who came to help him at the inn were
> himself - or am I mixing things up?

Well, yes, he says he _likes_ to think that, so we can't be sure it's
true. But grant that Severian made other trips to that time; it's
still unclear whether he did any conciliating on those trips. It's not
as if when our Severian sees the other Severians at the inn they are
all being feted as wonder-workers. Of course, it may be that they
started working wonders after our Severian left. (If they had been
working wonders before he arrived, wouldn't someone have done
something to stop it? And would the arrival of our Severian have
caused such a stir?)

Bear in mind, though, that they must have been considerably older than
our Severian (since the Apu-Punchau episode, which takes many years,
happened in between) and that they would not have had the Claw. (I
know the Claw doesn't really matter. But people _thought_ it
mattered.)