(urth) Wind god

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 12:58:42 PDT 2010

> António Pedro Marques-
> Apples, oranges. Theories don't enter the picture. We're talking about
> facts. We're talking about a certain 'kind of selective reading'.

EVERYBODY selectively reads a Wolfe novel, if they've read him long.
Anyone who says he has not is selectively recalling.  (I would not say
such people are bending or misrepresenting the facts, since that
statement implies it is done intentionally.) Furthermore, "people"
regularly, and irritatingly, declare things "proved" or proved false
that have not in fact been proven. Shall we denounce those as well for
unscrupulous methods? Why should we? Who the Niflheim cares? Let them
say it.

I don't find Lee's GUT compelling, but I don't think he's engaged in a
Council on Foreign Relations plot to seduce me with it. It's generally
very difficult to keep all of the Sun Cycle in your head at all times.
And even if you could, no will ascribe the same importance to all its
parts. And some bits are so useless literally that they *have* to be
pointing at something else--IMO. And I, for one, do not believe all the
answers are in the text. I think Wolfe has deliberately left out key
answers because he thought them too obvious. I could name a couple of
confirmed examples. You have to engage in cognitive leaps sometimes. And
people have made false jumps only to land serendipitously on some
unlooked for fact (such as the "red monkey" connections Lee brought up
earlier --it was Lee right?).

So people who get irritated should remember that its only literature we
are discussing here.

u+16b9