(urth) Wind god

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 5 05:57:15 PDT 2010

>Andrew Mason- According to Dorcas's account of the Conciliator he used to disappear and reappear,
>suggesting that Severian's trip to Typhon's time is not the sole source of the legend.

>Son o'Witz- I like this. It adds to the idea that the Tomb Builder Severian is out meddling
around beyond the text.

Agreed, Andrew brings up an interesting idea that I hadn't thought much about before. Severian does
see a couple guys who look like himself in the crowd at the inn during the Zama incident.

Moreover, Typhon himself describes the Conciliator as a "wonderworker" to Severian. This would seem
to be a sarcastic comment given that the demonstration to Typhon we see of The Conciliator's power
consists of him jabbing a dagger into a tabletop. But if Severian had doppelgangers who continued to
appear in Typhon's realm healing and purifying lust and whatnot, perhaps Typhon really did accept that
the Conciliator had superhuman powers, by the time he died on his couch.

>or that the Conciliator is a composite figure made up of various people, of whom Jesus is, perhaps, the
>first, and Severian the last.

This doesn't work for me, especially since my understanding of the sub-textual story of BotNS requires that
this world/universe never had a Jesus. But this touches on many previous debates on whether Urth is Earth,
which is past which is future etc.