(urth) Wolfe as Heretic

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Wed May 19 07:00:52 PDT 2010

In my fairly extensive review of Gene Wolfe interviews I've
found him to be generally cautious and circumspect with regard
to revealing the mysteries behind his literary work. But
occasionally a certain interviewer will inspire him to let
something important slip. For example, in the Larry McCaffery
interview I mentioned in another post he is willing to resolve
the central mystery of Fifth Head of Cerberus.

In the '96 interview with James Jordan I find one of the most
telling revelations which has helped my personal understanding
of the thematic underpinnings of the Sun series. Ironically the
answer is in response to a question about the Soldier series. But
it displays a part of the stated personal belief system of Gene
Wolfe which seems to have inspired much of his work. I think it is
a belief which is not reconcilable with orthodox Catholicism, though
I can't be sure.