(urth) Wolfe as Heretic

Lane Haygood lhaygood at gmail.com
Wed May 19 07:47:36 PDT 2010

2010/5/19 António Pedro Marques <entonio at gmail.com>:
> Church Fathers did not in general make a point of saying pagan gods didn't
> exist. I don't think any considered them divine, but instead of angelic
> nature, though either fallen or miscontrued by their worshippers.

That's what I read Wolfe as saying:  the being worshipped is real even
if humans misconstrue their nature.  Let's say that an ancient Greek
worshipping Apollo was really worshipping one of the angels to whom
was given custody of poetry, the sun, music, etc.  The imperfect
nature of the worshipper is such that all he knows how to call what he
sees is "divine," even if that appellation might more properly refer
to Apollo's boss, and not to Apollo himself.  Certainly the same sort
of modernistic arguments against the existence of divinity apply with
equanimity to the existence of Apollo or the god of monotheists.
Wolfe is right that there is no reason for people that acknowledge the
existence of that monotheistic god to assume that heathens were silly
for believing in their many gods.  In fact, it is contrary to their
own faith that they would be dismissive of the faith of others.

Also, Wolfe is a learned man, and well aware of Christianity's roots
being not too far removed from henotheistic Judaism.  I think our
modern theological discussions are stripped very bare of the
supernatural (except for, of course, those beings for which theodicies
are traditionally maintained), and we tend to impart our rather
cynical view to ancients, or view them as deficient in some regard
because they believed in things we now consider seriously.  Every time
I indulge myself in this prejudice, I recall all of the wonders the
people of the ancient world produced, and am humbled a bit.