(urth) is Terminus Est really just a simple piece of hardware?

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Mon May 17 18:52:07 PDT 2010

On 5/17/2010 11:03 AM, Cliff Judge wrote:
> I plan on keeping my eye on descriptions of Terminus Est throughout the
> New Sun books, but something about how Dorcas described it when she was
> recounting to Severian what happened when he went down during the duel
> was interesting.
>
> I am wondering if the sword might be an artifact of much higher
> technology than Severian gives it credit for. Certainly it must be
> cleaned, oiled, and sharpened at various times in the book, but the
> description of a channel of liquid metal inside the blade seems to ring
> with the general "lostech" descriptions of many of the devices in the
> Mataquin Tower.

The preparation of the blade's metal and the mercury is within the means
of a medieval society, but drilling the channel down the finished center
and fitting it with a threaded stopper would require something like a
drill press, which would not be particularly unexpected in a place like
Nessus, where enough old technology remains useful that mechanical limbs
are not particularly remarkable.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >