(urth) OT: Improper Use of Subject Lines

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Mon May 24 09:47:35 PDT 2010

On 5/24/2010 11:39 AM, Jeff Wilson wrote:
> On 5/24/2010 10:15 AM, James Wynn wrote:
>> But then we have to endure threads on the rules of good subject lines. I
>> think it is better to keep the list in line by modeling good behavior
>> rather having self-appointed cops.
>
> Ranjit-appointed cops would be ideal, avoiding numerous of the
> pathologies you mention.

I suppose it *might* be ideal. But ideal solutions, by definition, are
usually impractical. You have cops, but then you have to have judges
when someone says the cop reacted improperly. Unless you have Judge
Dread for your cop I don't want to go there. I think Josh had the best
solution:

If you want a thread to die, ignore it. Eventually, it will. They always
do. These feral thread usually crank up when there is not a lot of
interesting conversation on the list. So, there's really little harm in
ignoring them.

In the meantime, I'll continue to use "OT" to designate off-topic
conversations. Even though it is only blowing against the wind, at least
it's not pissing against the wind.

J.