(urth) Proper Use of Subject Lines

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Mon May 24 01:56:17 PDT 2010

On 5/21/2010 9:59 AM, James Wynn wrote:
> On 5/21/2010 9:01 AM, Jeff Wilson wrote:
>> n my experience, it is unless you have a moderator with the ability
>> and the will to enforce pertinent subject
> I have, in the past, attempted to change the subject lines of threads as
> they moved OT. Maybe half or less of the participants followed. If the
> particular email that prompted them to responded did not have a changed
> subject, they didn't change it. Probably, because they didn't care about
> it as much as me or Mr. Brewer. Or, in the respondents opinion, their
> response *did* have to do with the original subject line. Hopeless cause.

it's not a hopeless cause, it just requires enforcement. I do it on
playtest discussion lists all the time: I lay out the rules for subject
lines, ask people nicely to follow them, warn them when they go astray,
and if they persist in going astray, I send them to the land of
postings-held-until-released-by-a-moderator to wander in the wilderness
until they see the light.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >