(urth) Wolfe as Heretic

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Wed May 19 14:19:48 PDT 2010

>> But then again, CS Lewis's view of pagan gods portrayed in "The Last
>> Battle" is certainly at odds with Paul's. So maybe it is all
>> heretical.
>
> Au contraire: to whatever extent the idea may be at odds with Paul's,
> the idea that good acts offered to false gods seems to align perfectly
> with what Jesus had to say on the subject, i.e., the Sheep and the
> Goats ("When did I ever see you ...")

Well, IIRC correctly, Aslan says to the Calorman "Any good deed done
for Tash was actually done for me." I don't think this is far removed
from "sacrifices made to Tash were actually made to Aslan", especially
if the Calorman performed the sacrifices with an honest and devout
heart, that is, with good intentions.But Paul positively repudiated
that sacrifices offered to idols were actually offered to God.

I get what you mean by the "Sheep and Goats" example, but *Jesus's*
final assessment of our good works is highly debatable. He also said
that good works done explicitly *in his Name* might be insufficient --
that some would cite such works and be told by Him "Depart. I never
knew you."

> True; but then, the Fathers seem to have done away with the idea of
> sacrifice entirely, other than self-sacrifice (including the sacrifice
> of the Eucharist, which is the ultimate self-sacrifice).

Granted, but sacrifice is sacrifice.

> Not only is it not-heretical to suppose that magic works: it is quite
> possible to suppose that working some kinds of magic is not inherently
> "sinful." The idea that it is is relatively recent, coming in with the
> late Middle Ages/early Renaissance; before that a clear distinction
> was made between _magia_ and _goetia_, magic and sorcery. The one had
> to do with using the inherent laws of created nature (as in alchemy),
> while the other was dealing with spirits (and was clearly forbidden).

Well, many Christians have believed (and continue to believe) that
magic works. I doubt those who participated in the Salem witch trials
thought the practitioners were harmless. But taking the Prophets and
the New Testament alone, the consenus seems to be that prayers to
false gods are of no practical value.There was that witch who
successfully summoned the Prophet Samuel however.
I suppose you're right, though. Enough Christians seem to have
believed in the efficacy of magic that I doubt the belief could have
been labeled heretical.

J.