(urth) the wall and baldanders

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Tue May 18 10:18:24 PDT 2010

From: Cliff Judge <transentient at gmail.com>

Sent: Tue, May 18, 2010 8:39:37 AM
Subject: (urth) the wall and baldanders

> What is the deal with Baldanders claiming he never dreams the morning after the show at Cteiphon's Cross, when the morning after Severian sleeps
> next to him he describes having a dream, possibly the same dream as Sev?

As I recall, he had a dream with images from Severian's memory (I feel I should call it a Memory), and Severian had a dream with images from Baldanders's memory or thoughts or future or something.  But that's a good question.  Maybe Baldanders stopped dreaming?  Maybe it was a random lie?

> The Wall is a Long Sun class colony ship, isn't it? Sticking up out of the ground like the ships in the Citadel. Either incomplete or mostly buried.

It seems too circular for that, unless you think it's the end layer, like the first coil of a pot.  But I don't think building a Whorl-class ship on Earth or Urth, instead of in space, makes any sense at all (which is my answer to John Watkins's question).

Jerry Friedman