(urth) started my second read of New Sun

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Fri May 14 11:21:05 PDT 2010

On 5/5/2010 11:28 AM, Lane Haygood wrote:
> One could argue that Severian's life is a series of Dickensian
> coincidences machinated by powers beyond his knowledge to fulfill a
> certain role, but if those powers are as truly omnipotent as such a
> scheme would suggest, why the rigmarole of the New Sun at all?

Time travel. Once causality begins to loop back, there are no
coincidences, no probability in the chain of events. What determines the
chain of events is that it requires the least intervention by the time
travellers.

And time travel happens because it is an allegory for G-d's eternal
nature outside of Creation, even though G-d himself also appears in the
story to remind us that the instruments of that intervention are flawed
but their employer is not.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >