(urth) Nicholas timing and trunk, etc

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Tue May 4 12:23:57 PDT 2010

Just to follow up on what I wrote earlier:

Even if the trunk had been removed from the back of the car by an unknown
person or persons for unknown reasons after Nicholas was back inside it, I
find it very hard to believe that Bax either failed to notice it was gone
when he went out to the car, or failed to mention it if he did. After all,
he troubled to mention that he put the cased pistols under the seat and the
sword in the compartment intended for golf clubs. If the trunk had been
missing it would have been a big deal to him and I know of no reason why he
would fail to make mention of it. And when he got the phone call from
Nicholas he seemed completely ignorant of Nicholas's plight.

But even if these objections could be waved away, that doesn't address the
issue of *when* Nicholas was found and put in the trunk. Worse, where was
Bax while Doris and Orizia and George and Nick were searching his house?
Where was he when Nicholas was put in the trunk of the car?

I said before that it would seem to have been late in the day when Doris
wrote her postscript and went to bed. For Nicholas's sake, it should have
been after sundown when he was put into the trunk. I think that Bax
suspected, by the time George showed up at night and wanted to open the
trunk, what the trunk might contain. Which is why he said, "Because I
believe it wiser to open it when we have daylight." (232)

-Roy