(urth) The Riverman

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Sun May 2 12:50:03 PDT 2010

Craig Brewer wrote:
> Another small point that may not be significant at all, but after the
final showdown, Martha tells Bax: "You have seen the Riverman. ... Not many
can say that." But he saw *three* hairy giants, and they emerged from the
forest, not the river. And since we have so many other things called River-
in this book (the motel, the suburban development that the Skotos Strip
becomes), is this whole Riverman thing bigger than just another example of
general "faerie" weirdness that Bax encounters?<

I tend to think that the Riverman (or Rivermen) is just another example of
Wolfe's catch-all notion of faerie. He did this before, in CASTLEVIEW, where
there was a Big Foot-like creature (or creatures) who really had little to
do with the Arthurian story. Also werewolves and phantom hitchhikers.

-Roy