(urth) The Sorcerer's House Questions (*Major Spoilers*)

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 14:21:23 PDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 4:31 PM, Mr Thalassocrat
<thalassocrat08 at gmail.com> wrote:
> But it's Bax who makes a will in favour of George, and Bax who "disappears".

According to the message from George, they both make a will in favor
of each other. Bax has a good reason to want to replace George and not
just kill him: there will be zero questions asked this way (notice
that the final letter's lame explanation of Bax just going off into
faerie for no stated reason, forever, apparently is completely
successful - the endnote presents 'George' as having no trouble
whatsoever managing Bax's estate, George's estate, or having Bax
declared dead).

> Everything about the replacement is under Bax's control, really, if he can
> get George to come to him, set George up to be killed, dispose of the body &
> get Millie to accept him (Bax) as "George". Faerie isn't an essential
> element for this scheme.

Neither twin seems to be especially in control. Both need to kill each
other. Bax *might* be able to forge George's signature, but he still
needs George dead, and vice versa. I don't really follow what you're
saying here - if there's any advantage accruing to Bax, isn't that
just further evidence that Bax did kill & replace George?

--
gwern