(urth) GW for Kids

Fernando Gouvea fqgouvea at colby.edu
Tue Mar 23 11:15:26 PDT 2010

Now I'm curious about your wife's interpretation...

I didn't try Wolfe with my kids until they were teenagers. I did once
try The Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories and Other Stories with
a group of college students. They have here something called a
"residence hall reading seminar" that's light and ungraded, and I was
persuaded to run one of those. After a couple of weeks one of the
students came up to me and said "You do realize that most of the books
assigned in these seminars are much easier than this one, right?"

:-(

Fernando

> I'll start a new thread .....speaking if reading to kids
> I wanted to introduce my kid to the...challenges...of reading
> GW...hidden clues, multiple themes etc...
> We spent some time in Italy and she did an "Xmas around the World"
> report on Italy, including La Befana, so I read her that one...subtle
> clues as to taking place on an alien world..cool...the Christian
> message was a bit lost on us, not being Catholic, but led to some
> interesting discussions.
> "The War Beneath the Tree" was fun...my wife came up with TOTALLY
> different interpretation...wow...
>
> Thoughts??? Suggestions????
>

> Mobile   (415) 786-3624
> *STUHAMM.COM*
> FACEBOOK/STUARTHAMM
> myspace.com/stuhamm
> Skype stuart.hamm

Fernando Q. Gouvea
Carter Professor of Mathematics
Colby College                     Editor, FOCUS
Mayflower Hill 5836               Editor, MAA Reviews
Waterville, ME 04901
fqgouvea at colby.edu

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
   -- Mark Twain