(urth) The Sorcerer's House Questions (*Major Spoilers*)

Thomas Bitterman tom at bitterman.net
Fri Mar 26 18:25:10 PDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 6:53 PM, Gwern Branwen <gwern0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> OK; I'll reiterate - how could Bax have planned the inheritance, the
> various events that made George willing to come, George's offer, the
> two pistols, Faerie, and the independent corroboration that makes the
> final replacement at all possible (the psychic's letters, the letters
> from his prison friends, the end note's asseveration that Bax really
> did come into the wealth he claimed to've in his letters), all from
> the very getgo as a starving ex-con who was breaking into houses and
> construction sites?

Nothing in the letters actually happened.  Bax knew Millie had a thing for
him
before he went to prison.  So did George - it accounts for his anger toward
Bax, his meanness to Millie, and his desire to throw Bax in jail.

While in jail, Bax decides to kill and replace his brother.  He befriends a
forger
(Lou) and a killer ("shotgun" Shel, which I just got) and learns some
skills.

When he gets out he starts writing these flowery letters, full of fairy tale
monsters.
He sends them to George, knowing that George will read them, and then
Millie.
Bax knows the effect this will have on George, and baits him to come to
Medicine
Man.  Bax kills him, forges a will, and gets the money and the girl.

When it comes right down to it, we are presented with no evidence that any
of the
events described actually happened.  The Compiler makes no effort to check
out
title records, police logs or other documentation that would corroborate the
story.  His removal of dates makes it that much harder for anybody
interested
to check, also.  Why would he do this?  Because Bax is the Compiler, and
this
book is him gloating over his big scam.