(urth) The Sorcerer's House

Fernando Gouvea fqgouvea at colby.edu
Mon Mar 15 19:36:02 PDT 2010

On 3/15/2010 11:01 PM, James Crossley wrote:
> Does anyone on the list really find these late volumes---I'm thinking
> of /Evil Guest/ and /Pirate Freedom/, and even /Memorare/---enjoyable
> as anything other than puzzleboxes?

Oh, yes! I loved /Memorare/ (and didn't find much to puzzle about in it)
and also /Pirate Freedom/, which seems to me a fascinating meditation on
what freedom is and what morality is all about. /Evil Guest/ is sans
doute harder, but I don't enjoy the puzzle box version of it nearly as
much as I just enjoy it as a story, a romp, a mash-up of ideas and
themes from pulp novels. Who cares whether it makes sense?

Fernando

Fernando Q. Gouvea
Carter Professor of Mathematics
Colby College                     Editor, MAA FOCUS
5836 Mayflower Hill               Editor, MAA Reviews
Waterville, ME 04901              http://mathdl.maa.org/mathDL/19/
http://www.colby.edu/~fqgouvea

Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational.
   -- Charles Schulz