(urth) Wolfe ebooks & stories

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 17:00:21 PST 2010

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 7:51 PM, Rebecca Bushong-Taylor
<rebeccabt01 at gmail.com> wrote:
> In case you are interested -
>
> I shared this story list with Gene, and he says he never wrote the story
> "Easter Sunday."  He's wondering who did, and why it got published in his
> name.
>
> Does anyone have any insight into this?
>
> Thanks
>
> Rebecca

Checking the PDF leads me to
http://www.revolutionsf.com/fiction/eastersunday/01.html

Which definitely puts itself forth as by Gene Wolfe. The style is
similar, but the twist strikes me as not particularly in Wolfe's vein,
but also not implausible enough that I could confidently say it wasn't
Wolfe.

But are you/Wolfe *sure* he didn't write it?

Google Books turns up an explicit claim and accurate description in
_The Long and the Short of It: More Essays on the Fiction of Gene
Wolfe_, by Robert Borski; "In the very early Wolfe short story, for
example, 'Easter Sunday', a chance-met-exiled-aristocrat tells a
reverend..."

http://books.google.com/books?id=7y1jBrpx4loC&pg=PA29&lpg=PA29&dq=%22Gene+Wolfe%22+%22Easter+Sunday%22+-pdf&source=bl&ots=8oZpDNE-qv&sig=VBScwUrBHsLR4Zrno1M58gu2ZH8&hl=en&ei=Y0uUS66WK9Sztgf-ofjUCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=21&ved=0CEcQ6AEwFA#v=onepage&q=%22Gene%20Wolfe%22%20%22Easter%20Sunday%22%20-pdf&f=false

(I'll note in passing the other day I saw a blogger mention that he
didn't enjoy recent Wolfe books as much because he felt the
Christianity was getting too strong.)

--
gwern