(urth) Query

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 13:00:42 PST 2010

Well, I posted some before recently but....

1. Plan to write no more than 10 minutes a day, at least at the
beginning. If you do that, you will always talk about "the novel I am
writing" rather than "the novel I once tried to write."

2. When I started writing, I would get up in the moring before
everyone else and write for an hour, sometimes two. When my wife would
bring me breakfast, I'd stop. I'd eat, get ready for the day and go to
work. I'd come home and play with the kids or whatever, and then I'd
go to bed early because I was going to do the whole thing again.

3. Start with the ending of your story and then slowly work backwards
to how you got there. That way your plot will tend to lead to a
satisfactory end. For example, a Cinderella is a poor girl who marries
a prince. How do they meet? Well, maybe he has this shoe and he is
going to marry the girl it fits? Well, why should it fit her? etc.

4. A good villain is someone who is *almost* a hero but falls just
short of it. (examples given were Bill Reis and Typhon -- I think Wat
is also a good example of what he's talking about)

5. If someone asks for advice about being a writer, I always tell them
"don't do it", because if they can be deterred by that, then they
shouldn't be a writer.

6. You should never read bad reviews if you can't help letting them
affect you. I read them, but I don't let them have an effect on me or
my emotions. But if you can't do that, you should just not read them.

J.