(urth) Hello, I'm a Newb

Nicholas Jost nickjost at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 30 14:28:30 PDT 2010

Since Gene Wolfe was mentioned in an article appearing in First Things recently
and was recommended through a friend I decided to pick up some of his books.  I
read "An Evil Guest" first, and once I realized I had missed pretty much the
whole book, I picked up the New Sun series (including the fifth book) and
promised I would pay more attention.  I have read some of the archive and the
notes on the Gene Wolfe Wiki (which I _think_ is maintained by one of you
folks?).

I am now going to add my entirely wild musings to the mix.

1.) Is Severian Albion?  He becomes the "Storm God" in the end and the servitors
of Albion also "serve" him especially when he is saved.
2.) Is he the same Storm God as is in an "Evil Guest"?  If they both exist on
the same timeline then "An Evil Guest" would be well within the period in which
the new sun is in transit (I'm assuming Apu is pre-colonial South American).
3.) Has anyone else had difficulty explaining the plot to his aged grandmother
and consciously skipped over the Dorcas character?
4.) Is Severian a proto(/post)-Christian (not -like) figure in a Mormon
universe?  That is it seems to have an endless hierarchy of gods.  The concept
of an "uncreate" blows this theory but the robots seem to have an endless
hierarchy topped (roughly) by a race.  Am I missing something?

Nicholas Jost