(urth) Appearances of Inire

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 28 11:28:32 PDT 2010

>Ryan Dunn: Ah yes, I always assumed Ossipago was Father Inire (same with the picture cleaner, and Palaemon).

Woo hoo! Well, Borski has also considered Ossipago and Palaemon as versions of Father Inire. I'm not sure about them.

But I thought I was alone in considering the picture cleaner, Rudesind, to perhaps be Inire. I suppose I am the champion/clown prince in finding Father Inire in the most places actually. I haven't posted about that in a few years (under the name bsharp, for some reason that account won't work here any more. Was I banned? yikes!)

My starting point is the first mention of Father Inire where he is described as old, bent and twisted and monkey-like. Rudesind fits the bill in appearance and in his occupation since Father Inire seems to be involved in all museum-oriented things artisan, arts, architecture, contrivances etc.

We also learn that Inire has an attraction to young pretty girls. This helps bring the Boatman, Dorcas' husband, into the pool of candidates. He is old, bent, hangs out in the right place, and speaks in a folksy voice like Rudesind. Boats plus young girls plus folksy talk plus telling "manatee" stories suggests Maxellindis' "uncle" might be in the mix also.

Monkey arms, a thing for young girls and interest in the arts makes Fechin another candidate. Especially since Rudesind's boyhood painting might be a self-portrait (there are paint brushes in the picture). This adds red hair to the mix and opens up all sorts of worm cans. (e.g. I think I know why Agia has auburn hair).

There are the likely possibilities of the cowled servitor of the autarch, the jungle guide and Isangoma. Plus I have to wonder about the odd monkey creatures which seem to peek in on Severian's progress from time to time.