(urth) Appearances of Inire

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 07:20:12 PDT 2010

Lee Berman wrote (30-06-2010 13:37):
> brunians-
>> These guys are not gods. They are angels or fairies or some such.
>
> David stockton did use quotes to address your concern. You are using the
> lower-case g for your "gods". Is this not sufficient?
>
> Is it possible that ancient pagans confused aliens/angels (fallen or
> not) with gods, fairies, monsters etc.? Or, more to the point, is it
> worth considering that Gene Wolfe has explored this possibility in his
> writing?

Just what a god (in the polytheist sense) and other preternatural being is
may not be easy to define in words, but nonetheless I think the distinction
is all too clear. Most mythologies have gods and have other preternatural
beings, and they are not confused. That said, a powerful enough being that
has or seeks universal (i.e., not limited) domain of something usually ends
up being considered a god, no matter its origins.